Thursday, April 14, 2011

Comment to Trina - Week 3 Reading

Trinia says:

One of my favorite lines in this book is but his true power derives from his ability to make other people powerful. This is exactly what I think leadership is all about. I am the second grade team leader and have been for the last 9 years. My principal puts a great deal of responsibility on his team leaders and has very high expectations. He believes in a shared leadership philosophy. I often look around and wonder why or who has given some team leaders the attitude of I am in charge. I will decide what information is shared or not. That doesn't make sense to me. I feel that I am meant to represent my team. I also believe that it is my responsibility to share the strengths and successes that my team (of 8 teachers) has with my boss. We have an elementary school with over 1,000 students and only 1 principal and 1 assistant principal. How can he know everything at all times? It is my job to build my team up and ensure that he is aware of their value. I also feel strongly about highlighting the positives about each team member. The more a person feels valued the more they are willing to go the extra mile for the team, for the school, and most importantly for the children.

That makes me think of the other line that I love that being, I began to shift my attention to how effective I was at enabling the musicians to play each phrase as beautifully as they were capable. This is such a powerful statement. What a different world we would live in if we only allowed each person to shine and grow, and if we only believed that they could.

My response:

I agree this is a very powerful line. Leadership is about sharing the success. It is great the amount of trust and confident your principal has in you. It is also great that you have not let the word leader go to your head. Awesome work!

No comments:

Post a Comment